Independent Living – COVID-19 Update – 12/4/20
Dear Independent Living (IL) Residents and Family Members,
We continue to provide updates and follow protocols to keep the Culpepper Garden community safe and healthy during the continuing COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, we are updating you that we have received notification of positive test results in our Assisted Living (AL) building. In addition, one staff member in Independent Living was also positive. All other IL staff tested Wednesday are reported as negative. We are maintaining safety discipline.
We are entering a VERY dangerous pandemic period. As our staff work every day to limit exposure to this insidious virus, we need the cooperation and assistance of our IL community.
- We advise residents to cancel all travel or visitation plans outside of the building for the next 14 days at a minimum.
- We advise residents to stay in their units as much as possible.
- The behavior of private health aides is the responsibility of the resident.
- Aides must always wear a mask in the building in all areas, especially in the unit.
- Aides are not permitted to congregate, take lunch, have phone calls, or take breaks in any public area of the building.
- Aides are permitted to do laundry in the 5th floor laundry only.
- Advise your family that any visits even for essential reasons are potential transmission events and should be postponed indefinitely.
- Beginning Monday, December 7th meals may be taken “to go” until further notice. The Dining Room remains open but the option to return to your unit has been restarted. NO BEVERAGES “to go” except bottled water.
- A new 15 meal plan is now available. This will allow residents the flexibility to have a meal available during any self-quarantine period. Available to all residents.
- Assisted Living is in lock down and no entry into the assisted living building is permitted.
We continue testing Independent Living staff to identify individuals who are positive for COVID-19 but may be pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. Access to Independent Living is restricted to only pre-authorized and screened privately hired and licensed medical providers or caregivers, essential persons, and staff. Authorized contractors must be approved in advance.
COVID-19 resident testing events are being planned for the middle of December and will be available to any IL resident interested. The testing is at no cost to residents. Look for details in the Clarion. Flyers will be distributed to all residents with more information on registration. We strongly advise all residents to register for testing.
The following protocols remain in place:
- Staff are continuing to frequently disinfect common area surfaces.
- Residents should always require private aides, staff, or other essential health care workers to wear a mask and gloves while in their unit. The resident should wear a mask too!
- All staff & aides are screened upon entry with temperature checked and recorded.
- All aides are always required to wear masks and gloves in the building.
- All staff are always required to wear a mask in the building, including in units.
Anyone entering the building must be screened for signs and symptoms of COVID-19, including a temperature check. Please continue to follow the infection control measures as provided by the CDC:
➢ Wash and sanitize of hands for 20 seconds or more as often as possible; and avoid touching face, mouth, and eyes
➢ Wear a mask whenever in public or when an aide or staff member is in the apartment.
➢ Cover a cough or sneeze.
➢ Maintain a “physical distance” of at least six (6) feet from any other individual.
➢ Frequently disinfect areas of activity and touch points
➢ Monitor health for symptoms and stay away from others if sick.
COVID-19 risk is peaking, and we continue the battle to protect everyone. We need the understanding and support now more than ever to be safe and strictly adhere to the recommendations and guidance until this public health crisis is past. Thank you to the community and residents for all the support of our efforts in this exceptional challenge.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Director, Property Operations