Independent Living – COVID-19 Update – 12/20/21
Dear Independent Living (IL) Residents and Family Members,
Happy Holidays! I wanted to take this opportunity to thank each one of you for your ongoing commitment to resident health and safety over this past year. Unfortunately, the recent outbreak of the Omicron variant of the COVID-19 virus requires we remain diligent in our infection control practices since the pandemic is not over and remains a threat to our residents and staff. The following are updates including current protocols to continue keeping the Culpepper Garden community safe and healthy during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
The high vaccination and booster rates in the community among residents and staff afford some protection. There are currently no reported cases of COVID-19 with any resident or staff at Culpepper Garden. Northern Virginia is experiencing high community positivity rates and we remain very concerned about another surge after the holidays. We continue to ask for the cooperation of our residents, staff, and families to limit the spread of COVID-19 into our community.
The following Infection Control Protocols remain in place:
- All visitors, contractors, and staff are required to register and be screened at the front desk for any evidence of illness, including fever. Registration includes questions regarding any potential exposure to COVID-19, any current symptoms of illness, and vaccination status.
- Hand sanitizer needs to be used upon entry and exiting the building. Other stations are located throughout the buildings and should be used regularly.
- All visitors, residents and staff inside Culpepper Garden must always wear facemasks when in common areas. These masks must cover the nose and mouth. Fully vaccinated guests and residents may remove their masks while inside the resident apartment; however, it is strongly recommended that residents ask all guests in their unit to keep their masks on as a precaution.
- Enhanced cleaning of high volume and high touch areas will continue.
- To the extent possible, it is asked that residents and visitors maintain an appropriate distance and avoid overcrowding elevators.
A Non-profit Retirement & Assisted Living Community
- Residents, guests, staff, and all other visitors who are not feeling well should stay home.
- Residents, staff, and visitors should wash their hands often and avoid close contact with others until this latest surge ends.
- We must continue to emphasize that private health aides providing service to residents must comply with the protocols that Culpepper Garden has established. Compliance with these rules is the responsibility of the resident.
- Aides must always wear a mask in the building in all areas, especially in the resident’s apartment.
- Aides are not permitted to congregate, take lunch, have phone calls, or take breaks in any public area of the building.
- Aides are permitted to do laundry in the Garden Level laundry only.
All activities and dining services are operating under normal schedule and protocols. We will adjust these protocols as needed in response to positive tests, governmental health guidance, and any other information to continue to protect our community from all infectious agents.
We remain hopeful that our intrepid residents and staff will weather this latest pandemic challenge. Until that time, we must remain vigilant and not let our guard down as a community. Thank you to every single person in the community for their resolve and commitment in keeping Culpepper Garden safe.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
We wish you Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday season, and a healthy and prosperous New Y ear!
Paul J. Timpane
Director, Property Operations